12th May 2022
The animation Festival is fast approaching and the acclaimed Screening Events are eagerly awaited for this 100% on-site edition! Here’s a little taster to whet your appetite…
Premieres, directors on stage, and plenty of surprises! The Screening Events are exceptional and often unforgettable moments at the Annecy International Animation Film Festival.
This year, and for the Festival’s monumental 100% on-site comeback, the festivalgoers will have the honour of discovering the first images of worldwide highly-anticipated films and to enjoy the presence of illustrious personalities from the animation industry!
If you have browsed through the programme on our website, you already know that the Festival programming will be dense, explosive, and very diverse. Let’s check out what surprises are in store for you!
- The very first images of Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (Part One), directed by Joaquim Dos Santos, Kemp Powers and Justin K. Thompson
Are you a tireless fan of Spider-Man’s adventures? Have you already watched the trailer broadcast by Sony over and over again and you’re eager to see more? Head over to the screening!
- The very first images of the film Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, directed by Joel Crawford from DreamWorks
The most famous cat is back! He’s used up 8 of his 9 lives… "Live every adventure as if it was your last."
- The very first images of Ernest and Celestine, a Trip to Gibberitia, directed by Jean-Christophe Roger and Julien Chheng from Folivari
The gruff bear and the mischievous smiley mouse are back together again for a musical adventure! Their new pastel-coloured escapade is a must-see!
- A dive into the amazing universe of Strange World from Walt Disney Animation Studios, and an Honorary Cristal presented to Jennifer Lee (the Studios’ Creative Director, Oscar-winning Director and Screenwriter of Frozen and Frozen 2)
Strange World is the latest gem from Disney, release date planned for November 2022. Set off to explore mysterious unchartered territory, and look out for some fantastical creatures along the way. For this special occasion, come and meet the esteemed Jennifer Lee.
- Netflix’s animation showcase
Join Netflix’s creators and talents while they celebrate and present their diverse animated stories for all ages. Dive into the list of upcoming animation series and films, from preschool and family-oriented programmes to adult anime and productions.
Hear from their creators as they reveal never-before-seen shots of upcoming titles, including Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio, a stop-motion reworking of the classic Italian tale.
Check out all the feature films!
- Perlimps, directed by Alê Abreu
In 2014, the Brazilian director received the Cristal for a Feature Film and the Audience Award for The Boy and the World. His new feature film Perlimps looks very promising from the first images with its striking style. Are you a nature lover? Do you adore its dense and mysterious forests that seem to suck you into the screen? You’d almost feel the fresh breeze tickling the back of your neck. Magic is everywhere.
- The feature film Les Secrets de mon père by Véra Belmont
This adaptation of the comic book Deuxième génération : ce que je n'ai pas dit à mon père by Michel Kichka focuses on two brothers’ point of view whose father bears the heavy secret that he is a Holocaust survivor.
- Premiere screening of Lightyear by Disney•Pixar, in the presence of the film’s Director Angus MacLane and Producer Galyn Susman
Did you think he was just a toy? The real story behind the legendary Space Ranger is coming to the Festival! Who are his sidekicks? Some young recruits and an adorable robot cat.
- The Sea Beast, directed by Chris Williams (Vaiana, Big Hero 6) and produced by Netflix Animation
If premieres make a mark in the Festival’s history each year, Jacob Holland and Maisie Brumble are making a mark in history by navigating on unchartered waters! Calling all sea monster fans!
- The Black Pharaoh, the Savage and the Princess, in the presence of Michel Ocelot
The director will receive an Honorary Cristal as acknowledgement for his distinguished career. Be there to meet him and discover his latest film, which is a triptych fairy tale.
- Dounia et la Princesse d’Alep, directed by Marya Zarif and André Kadi
After an animated series (Dounia, 2020) and an illustrated comic book (Dounia, 2021), in this feature film the director tells the epic story of a Syrian child that the war forced into exile. A touching story about a family’s strength and the emigrants conditions when fleeing in search of a new home.
- Gremlins: Secrets of the Mogwai, directed by Tze Chun (Gotham), Brendan Hay, Joe Dante
Don’t expose it to daylight, don’t get it wet, don’t feed it after midnight…
Meet Sam Wing again (the old apothecary) back when he was 10 years old and he met the cutest ever Gremlin: Gizmo!
- INU-OH, directed by Masaaki Yuasa (Mind Game, Japan Sinks: 2020)
During this Screening Event, the director, and the Mifa Campus’ new patron, will present his new film INU-OH, adapted from the book Le Roi chien by Hideo Furukawa. The director wasn’t lacking in inspiration. Expect a cinematic UFO with a combination of graphic styles, mixing animated film, musical comedy, rock 'n' roll, and the 14th century. Join the dance and discover Japan as you’ve never seen it before.
- N°7 Cherry Lane, directed by Yonfan
A combination of slow, haunting rhythms, melancholy tones, and tortured love stories, all set against a revolutionary backdrop. The film toured all the major festivals and notably received the Best Screenplay Award at the 76th edition of the Venice Film Festival in 2019.
- Sing a Bit of Harmony, directed by Yasuhiro Yoshiura
This feature film about a popular AI and high-school students won the Japan Academy Film Prize for Animation of the Year in 2022. The quest for happiness and the means to attain it are highlighted in this pure gem of Japanese animation. Would music make her happy? And what about the friendship?
- Opening Ceremony – Minions: The Rise of Gru (invitation only)
To kick off the Annecy Festival is the world premiere screening of Minions: The Rise of Gru, prequel of the Despicable Me saga. Travel back in time to the 70s and meet the young and already scheming Gru, along with his Minions.
See you on 18th June for the Closing Ceremony of the 46th edition (invitation only) of the Annecy International Animation Film festival. The Festival will present its winners with a few surprises still in store for you!
We hope we’ve caught your attention! See you on 13th June for the start of the festivities!